Monday, September 14, 2009

MY FIRST LOVE LETTER

My first love letter was a disaster. Not because it wasn't well-written or had grammatical errors or something. It was quite well-written for a 13 year old boy, fascinated simply by the name of a girl in his classroom. The disaster was the fact that I was caught with the letter. Not in school. Or by friends but by my mother while I was writing it. All thanks to my sister. We had said our goodnight and were each on our beds. My lights were still on since I was composing the letter on my bed. Sister was amused as to what I was doing when she had told me twice already to turn off the light. She jumped in out of nowhere and startled me. Then she snatched the paper from me. I protested and ran after her. She began reading out the letter... 'After I saw you for the first time...' All these noise reached my mother's ears and she walked in. Sister was giggling. I kept quiet. Then I said that sister was troubling. This annoyed my sister who announced that I was writing a love letter, in order to save herself from mom's temper. Mom took the letter and after reading it went off and told us to sleep. She said that such a tiny boy thinking about love and writing such nonsense when all he should think about is getting good marks. I was majorly upset. More than at mom, I was mad at my sister. She knew it. So, she went ahead and slept with mom. I was furious and my anger somehow lulled me to sleep.

What happened to the love letter? Well, nothing. When you get a thrashing from your mom, that too word-thrashing you make sure you never repeat the same thing ever again. What happened to the girl. Well, nothing really. She left school the next year. I wasn't heartbroken since I wasn't really in love. But her name still fascinates me. It was a local Khasi name but sounded really nice to me. Would you believe it I still remember the name! Evarista!

After that experience I haven't really written any love letters. It has been more verbal or through cards, mixing my emotions with the festive occasions. I love cards. But most cards are too vague and too petty. I like words woven beautifully and elements like colour, basic layout or images used in a subtle but striking manner. Hallmarks cards stand out clearly because of the number of great many cards I have bought, given or received. Archie's is fine too. But it's more frivolous and fun. But I have found some cool cards from them too. Using cards is like having a letter already written for you. So, it becomes easier. Not that I usually don't put in any more into it. I tend to write or add my own bit to it. In a way it has been more of cards and less of letters.

I remember I once tried to write my own sweet love letter, in the form of a poem after I saw the movie starring Jennifer Jason Leigh and Campbell Scott, 'The Love Letter' on Hallmark Channel... It was a really good movie... Have seen it many times. I hope I can find it somewhere. Even the one in 'Message in a Bottle'... was quite powerful... I remember the letter in Knight's Tale, which by the way my brother loved... there are any many others which I don't remember now... maybe someday when I do I will write another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Rob And Bella And Their Incredible Journey

Dedicated to #TeamRobAndBella. . I have been following the journey of Rob ( Facebook: Robert Kugler ) and his pet Bella, here on Insta...