Tuesday, February 17, 2009

MAX - MY UNLIKELY TEACHER

My dear Max, whom I had christened as Maxwell Williams, the day he was brought to our house is a little over 6 years now. We have had several pets, both cats and dogs since our childhood. But Max is very special to me. For one, we were the only company to each other during the early days of his life in our house. Rest of the family had gone out of town for few months.

I have learned a great deal from him. He taught me to be patient. Training him to do his 'business' outside of the house was a tough task for me. Mom did it with all the other pets. But this time I was on my own. He also taught me to keep my cool. Even when he would wake me up in the middle of the night with his 'adolescent' barks.

It was a difficult time for me, as I was preparing for the final year exams and had some family problems as well. I clearly remember waking up at night to let him out in the verandah. I would sit next to him on the ground and just stared up at the night sky. Lost in my thoughts and feeling quite low, I would just hold him and at times even talk to him! It felt stupid sometimes. Nonetheless it did let some burden off my chest!

The photograph above was taken about a month and half back. I was seeing him after almost 2-3 years. He's just the same. Perhaps a bit more quieter. So much has changed in my life in all these years. So many relations formed and ended. Some fluctuating in between cordial and non-existent, expectations and disappointments, anger and frustration. Amidst all these chaos and confusion was Max, who welcomed me just as he'd have done any other time. No complaints whatsoever. Simply love.

As I spent time with him, I wished if I could have stayed there with him or brought him here. But it was not possible. I could not leave my work here. Moreover there would be no one to take care of him out here.

I dedicated most of my time at home to him. When finally I was on my way back, I came to realise that Max had taught me few more lessons again. To make the most of the time one has with their loved ones. To cherish each and every moment spent with them. And to love with forgiveness in one's heart.

Love you, Max!

2 comments:

  1. I landed on this without even expecting it.. beautifully written Ranjan.. it vents out many feelings I have for my little angel... you know who... Brownie :) looking forward to have more essays from you... was a deja vu experience for me in ways more than one.. this article.. keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment... some relations have no rules at all.. it's all hearts.. that's the same with Max..

    ReplyDelete

To Rob And Bella And Their Incredible Journey

Dedicated to #TeamRobAndBella. . I have been following the journey of Rob ( Facebook: Robert Kugler ) and his pet Bella, here on Insta...