Saturday, October 3, 2009

LATA MANGESHKAR’S TOP 10 SONGS IN MY LIFE

The country celebrated Lata Mangeshkar’s 80th birthday on 28th September. Her name has become synonymous not just with music but a look at her career is like looking at an encyclopaedia of the history of music in Hindi films. Through her songs one can relate the various trends that have inspired the musical world, the several leading actresses who charmed the audience across the decades, the many talented music composers and the creative lot of wordsmiths.

The list was humungous. It was difficult to pin down on few songs from such a vast collection. The problem with compiling a 10 or 20 songs collection is that there will always be something worth mentioning in the list which would have not made it. My list however, is based solely on the significance of the songs in my life and how they have shaped some of my best memories.



This was one of the songs mom really liked. She would hum it and we’d just look at her. She would tell us about the first time she had seen the movie and how she loved the song. Then finally we one day we got to see the movie ourselves along with her. It was a treat to see the movie. It was fun as well as sad kind of movie. I guess that’s how one feels after watching a Hrishikesh Mukherjee film.

'Maine kaha phoolon se hason to woh khilkhila ke hasdiye... aur ye kaha jeevan hai, bhai mere bhai hasne ke liye..'



This movie makes me cry every time I see it. The emotions were so innocently portrayed and how real they seemed, even to a young child. I have no recollection of the first time when I saw this movie. But I remember watching it several times. Once with the whole family and I was crying then. Recently I saw it with my brother and sister, I was crying even then. They were catching up on a lot other things, chatting while watching the film. I was completely engrossed in the movie and was trying to hide it but could help sobbing audibly. They looked at me, then at each other and sister remarked mockingly to brother – we’ve become emotionless! We all had a good laugh after that.

Shabana pulls a blanket over Rahul, lying on his bed after the police bring him back. He had run off when he found out about Shah being his real father. He looks up at Shabana and says sorry. Unable to control her emotions, she rushes out of the room and weeps uncontrollably… the song playing in the background in Lata’s voice just grips you.

'zindagi tere gham ne hamein rishtein naye samjhaye... mile jo hamein dhoop mein mile, chhao ke thande saaye...'




The song first struck a chord with me when it was used in a Rajiv Gandhi AV on Doordarshan. The song was played in the background with shots of Rajiv Gandhi and his mother Indira Gandhi. I found it interesting and emotional – the idea that even though she is not alive, she’s still there with him at every step. It might have been a great marketing strategy for Gandhi, but it didn’t strike me then.

The song has in the recent past become more personal. Every time I hear it I’d feel this voice of assurance that my mom is still here with me. And if through the course of the song I felt sad and lonely... the following lines of the song would comfort me…

‘Tu agar udaas hoga, to udaas hungi main bhi… nazar awung ya na awung tere paas hungi main bhi…’




Papa used to buy cassettes, mostly old ones. But he was also tuned into the latest Hindi film songs as well. It was the time of Aashiqui and he would play it every morning to wake us up. He knew the songs by heart and would sing it in his own style, putting lots of expressions in the song as well as on his face. During those days he bought this new cassette with two films combo – Raja Aur Runk and Khilona. I still remember most of these songs and drive my friends crazy with songs like ‘Phirki Wale Tu Kal Phir Aana…’ and ‘Khush Rahe Tu Sada…’

Raja aur Runk had this particular song which was picturised on Nirupa Roy and a child artist. Lata was voicing for the little boy, singing praises of mother…

‘dookhan lagi hai maa teri ankhiyan... mere liye jaagi hai tu saari-saari ratiyan...
mere neendiyan pe apni neendiyan bhi tune vaari hai...

maa bachchon ki jaan hoti hai... woh hote hain kismet wale jinke maa hoti hai..
kitni sundar hai, kitni sheetal hai, nyaari-nyaari hai...

tu kitni achchi hai, tu kitni bholi hai… pyari, pyari hai, o maa…
ki yeh jo duniya hai, yeh ban hai kaaton ka, tu phoolwari hai…'



This song from the film Shri 420 had a life of its own independent of the film in my life. I thought it was just a random song earlier; only recently I got to know it was from this film. My paternal grandmother was quite a lady! She still mystifies me even though it has been years since she passed away. She would visit us in Shillong if and when her health permitted. It was during one of these visits that the three of us – sister, brother and me – told her to narrate tales of her youth. My sister is very persuasive without being intrusive in her questions. She asked her about her childhood, about how she met Grandfather who died a year or two prior to our meeting, about the actors she liked and other interesting tales. She loved Mithoon a lot and if he was on TV there’d be no way we could change the channel. She would ask father or any one of us to translate what was being said. She was a very expressive woman and she would react to the movie like guys do while watching a sports match.

My sister then told her to sing a song. She said she really liked this song and she sang it a lot in her youth. Then she started singing the song, her eyes lit up, moving her hands to the song in a typical Manipuri dance movement.

‘Ichak daana, beechak daana… daane upar daana… ichak daana…’

She was a very stern, strict and authoritative lady to most. But to us she was this endearing, almost child-like woman, happy in spirit and soul. The moment has stayed with us.


It was time for the afternoon movie on Doordarshan. We all gathered around the TV. For most part it would just be the three of us – mom, sister and me. The movie was ‘Aankhen’ starring Mala Sinha and Dharmendra. I knew and liked Dharmendra but wasn’t really fond of Mala Sinha. This film is one exception where I really liked her a lot.

The song is the declaration of love by Mala Sinha to Dharmendra. He says no to her proposal and it would be years before they encounter each other. I didn’t understand much about how love worked then, not that I do now. But I felt this strange sense of wrong being done by Dharmendra for not accepting her love. With time as I hear the song again I marvel at the lyrics, so true.


  • Bada Natkhat Hai Re… Amar Prem 1971, R D Burman, Anand Bakshi
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KngOTfCR7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUqDjX-nvLw)

Despite the fact that I am neither fond of Sharmila Tagore nor Rajesh Khanna, this is one of my favourite films. I like the relationship of Sharmila and the child, the way it has been portrayed. The song comes at two points, one when the boy is still young and the second time when he comes back to the city, all grown up, married with a child.

‘Aa tohe main gale se laga loong… lage na kisi ki nazar, man mein chhupa loong…
Dhoop jagat hai re… mamata hai chhaiya…’


The interest in the song is pretty recent. I know about the film but have not seen it as yet. After watching the movie, my sister became really fond of the flower Rajnigandha (tuberose) and would often buy it. So, the fondness for the song and the flower developed. It really is a fragrant flower. I have heard the song before and I really like the following part of the song…

‘aadhikaar ye jab se saajan kaa har dhadakan par maanaa maine
main jab se un ke saath bandhee, ye bhed tabhee jaanaa maine
kitanaa sukh hain bandhan mein…’

Lyric was penned by one of the most under-rated lyricists, Yogesh.


There are some songs I associate with my parents. Dad is more outspoken and expressive compared to mom who is more the silent type. Dad would often sing songs to mom when we were all around, and we would associate those songs as our parent’s song. This was one of those songs, including the title track of another film ‘Prem Kahahi’. The lyrics of the song I had already learned by heart without even knowing what they meant at an early age. It’s quite a cute track if you can view yourself as a dreamer who is dreaming of a dream house with one’s lover!



I haven’t seen the film. But I clearly remember the song and its video. Mithoon and Anita Raj atop a bus, the vast expanse of sandy Rajasthan, the folk singers… the rustic feel of the song, the rhythm and vocals…

They all came together to make this lasting memory, I can’t seem to erase. Not that I’m complaining. I like the rhythm of the song, the beats, and the feel of the song – a bit nostalgic and on the edge of romanticism…

‘Kabhi-kabhi shaam aise dhalti hai jaise ghoonghat uttar raha hai...
tumhare sine se uthata dhuwa hamare dil se guzar raha hai..

yeh sharm hai ya hayaa hai kya hai, nazar uthaate hi jhuk gayi hai
tumhaari palakon se girke shabnam, hamaari aankhon mein ruk gayi hai…

Zihaal-e-muskeen mukon ba-ranjish, bahaal-e-hijra bechara dil hai
sunayi deti hai jiski dhadkan, tumhara dil ya hamara dil hai’



There are several other great songs, which I am missing out on but I would like to add a few more of those songs which I tend to sing or listen to very often.

‘Najana kyun…’ from Chhoti Si Baat 1975, Salil Choudhary, Pradeep
I sung the song in my introduction class in my institute. It is another story that a friend tricked me into singing it in front of some 20 odd people! Such simple poetry and so true to life. Yogesh's lyrics again.

Ajeeb Daastaan Hai Yeh…’ from Dil Apna Aur Preet Parayee 1960, Shankar-Jaikishen, Shailendra
Most of the times, this song would be sung at the antaksharis that I played since my childhood days. The emotion of happiness and sorrow and the expressions on Meena Kumari's face. She wasn't called a Tragedy Queen for nothing.

‘Ae dil-e-nadaan…’ from Razia Sultan 1983, Khayyam, Jan Nisar Akhtar
I had always liked the slow and rather stillness of the music and the melody since I heard it. But over the years, as I began to understand the words as well, I fell in love with this one. It's like the philosophical me speaking to myself about life, love and everything in between.

‘Rahe na rahe hum…’ from Mamta 1966, Roshan, Majrooh Sultanpuri
I never really paid much attention to the song, until in one of the reality shows a participant, a very talented one indeed was eliminated and she sung it without any music, just her voice. It was an experience. After that I am in love with this song. It's like one of those perfect goodbye, take care kind of song.

‘Naam gum jayega…’ from Kinara 1977, R D Burman, Gulzar
Gulzar's imagery in his poetry is something that I have been fascinated with since I began to understand what the songs' lyrics meant, not that I understand all of his songs. The thought in the song was something that intrigued me. Moreover I always had this outlook towards life, about how transitory it really is yet how some things remain the same throughout.

‘Dil dhoodhta hai…’ from Mausam 1975, Madan Mohan, Gulzar
What an imagery! One can just see those warm afternoon in winter with one's lover. What is interesting is that the two versions of the song - a happy and a sad one - both have the same lyrics.

‘Yeh galiyan, yeh chobara…’ from Prem Rog 1982, Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Santosh Anand
Prem Rog is one of my favourite films. The point at which the song comes is the reason I like the song. The closeness of Padmini with Rishi… her sheer happiness over her marriage and Rishi’s broken heart owing to the same reason... unfortunately it would take a long time and a lot to have happened for her to realize her love for him.

‘Jaane kya baat hai…’ from Sunny 1984, R D Burman, Anand Bakshi
I started liking this song after I heard brother humming it. He lived in a boarding school in Imphal and had seen this movie and really liked the song. It’s a simple song, with minimal music and simple lyrics. And the result is pure magic. In one of her interviews, Lata mentioned that she had completely forgotten about this song and when she stumbled upon it after years she fell in love with the song (an R D Burman’s composition) all over again!

Songs from Aandhi, Ghar, Silsila and Abhimaan are too good as well. But as far as that emotional connect, a link to my life is concern, the 10 songs listed above have become a part of me, over the years…


--------------------
Have uploaded few of the videos since I had problem uploading all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Rob And Bella And Their Incredible Journey

Dedicated to #TeamRobAndBella. . I have been following the journey of Rob ( Facebook: Robert Kugler ) and his pet Bella, here on Insta...